KISS FC is a F3 flight a-like controller designed by Flyduino for Mini Quad. In this post we will walk through the features of the KISS FC, compare it to CleanFlight/Betaflight, and try explain briefly how to set it up with your rig.
Get your KISS FC FROM FPV MODEL now only for 27$ approx.
It is going to be a long post as there is a lot to talk about kiss Fc if considering this as the next Fc after naze 32.
Many Pro Pilots are using kiss Fc and Sp3-Sp4 racing baords for the same reason that they have higher response rates and other features… I hope this is useful to someone who are considering this flight controller.
Specification and Hardware
So as you can see the below hardware specs, you would come to know that it doesnt has many things which a general Fc board would have and thats why Kiss Fc is simple and software is simple and easy to use.
- STM32 F3 MCU with MPU6050 Gyro/ACC
- Input voltage: 2-6S LiPo
- Kiss Fc supports 6 motors configurations.
Supported copter types:
- Quad +/x
- Hexa +/x
- Integrated 500mA 5V BEC (78M05G) – which means you can power the FC directly from LiPo battery, and the FC can power the RX too.
- Supports Telemetry data from KISS 24A ESCs (battery voltage, current or ESC temperature)
- Reverse polarity protection
- Supports almost all Radio Rx available out in market.
Supported RX types:
– PPM Sum
– Spektrum Sat. (serial / DSM2 & DSMX)
– Futaba / Taranis SBUS
– Jeti ExBus
– Graupner SumD / SumO
– classic RX with single channel output
The KISS FC is a 32-bit flight controller with F3 processor, just like the SPRacing F3, LUX or Tornado. The KISS FC is currently using its own custom firmware, but because of the same processor, Cleanflight might be ported in the future. The hardware of the KISS FC is simple, no baro, no mag, no flash memory chip.
Size and Weight:
Mounting Holes: 3x3cm pattern, with 3.2mm holes (widely compatible)
Similar shape to the LUX F3, both look like an “H”. It uses solder pads rather than traditional pin holes. Direct soldering is to be done, rather than using header pins.
KISS FC AND KISS ESC
Kiss Fc as designed to work with and comes with Kiss esc but also it does works with other esc’s.
With the ESC telemetry, it is able to report current draw, RPM and temperature of each ESC, which then can be displayed on the OSD.
There are dedicated pins on the FC that receive telemetry data, one for each ESC (TRX pin – between PWM pin and GND). They are using hardware serial on the processor.
How is the Kiss Fc different from other F3 Flight controllers??
Most of the F3 Flight controllers these days run CleanFlight (CF) / Betaflight (BF), so we need to compare the new KISS FC firmware with them.
I think the 2 main differences that are really matters to general users are: the support for ESC Telemetry, and Felix’s custom firmware. Felix is the designer of Kiss Fc.
- Cleanflight and Betaflight are open source Kiss Fc Firmware is close sourced.
- CF and BF has a complex GUI with many options to tweak the flight experience whereas Kiss Fc GUI is simple and has only 4 tabs with basic settings.
- CF and BF there are CLI commands and CLI window there is no CLI in Kiss GUI.
- As CF and BF are open source and rapid development and tweaking takes place there are often updates launched and to just fly the kwad its difficult to keep updating the Fc and test out the performance as they may change flight characteristics.
- BF and Raceflight are trying to run as fast as they can with looptime (where Raceflight is doing 8khz at the moment). KISS FC still runs at 1Khz and reportedly having good result.
- It is similar to compare Android vs IOS (APPLE).
The firmware is written from scratch, and the PID controller is complete float point based. But there is no alternative PID controller choices like those in Betaflight or Raceflight.
PID values has decimals, that’s good for fine tuning.
GUI – KISS FC’s Configurator
Similar to Betaflight Kiss Fc Configurator has a Google Crome App which helps instant launch and setup the Fc. There are only 4 tabs currently – Configuration,Data Output,Rates,TPA and Esc Flasher.
Here if we compare this to Betaflight it has so many tabs also it depends from person to person how deep he wants to go into the tweaks and stuff.
Flyduino has also written a custom firmware for the Micro MinimOSD, which they also sell (their own version).
Check out a video of Kiss Setup below: